Saturday, October 27, 2007

Sometimes I feel like I live in the zoo

From 8 to 5 on weekdays, at least. My "corner" of the office is almost completely surrounded by windows. I love that I face a wall of windows and that I can see the sky and trees. To my left are another 2 large windows that face an inside hallway of the Divinity School. A few times a week one of the people from Admissions will be giving visitors/prospective students a tour and they'll come and stand right in front of those windows for a few minutes. I'm sure she's telling them all about the Institute on Care at the End of Life (where I work) but as I sit there trying to make sure I'm exhibiting good posture and excellent typing skills I imagine that she's saying, "And here we have one of those strange office workers that has to wear two bulky wrist braces as she types..." and then they all just stand there for a while and I feel awkward and paralyzed and can understand why those monkeys at the zoo we visited last summer kept trying to hide.

5 comments:

Cat said...

hm.. at least you don't throw poop at them. that would be weird.

Heather Pelczar said...

lol- Whitney you are so funny. And I agree with Catherine...I don;t think that picking up the "art" of poop throwing would make you feel any more comfortable being stared at.

Anonymous said...

haha...i think your wrist braces are actually quite trendy ...they kinda remind me of the time that i bought some when i wanted to do 'gymnastics'...you remember that stage, right??
you are a little more normal than me though.

Kasey said...

i think i need wrist braces. are those for typing and carpal tunnel? i want one.

Whitney said...

Kasey, you totally need wrist braces! I rarely go to the computer without at least my right hand brace. You should get some. Either go to the doctor and ask for some or go to a medical supply store. Get the kind with metal inserts - they're really supportive and they align your wrist properly without making you tense up your arm to keep your wrist in the right place. They really help the pain on the top of my hand from using the mouse. When I have flare-ups I wear them constantly, even to bed - they keep my wrists in the right position while I'm sleeping and it prevents further inflammation. I think the whole world should get wrist braces, obviously. They're the best!