Monday, April 09, 2007

Last Sunday

Well I thought I might blog everyday that my parents were here to give the family back home a play by play... it was a nice thought. Instead I'll reminisce a bit about the highlights from the week.

Sunday, April 1- we took my parents to our church service. We warned them that our service is a little (okay - a lot) longer than what they're used to at Grace Baptist. The service was great but the sermon seemed to go on and on that day. There actually is a biblical text that captures very well what the experience was like:

"And there was a certain young man named Eutychus sitting on the window sill, sinking into a deep sleep; and as Paul kept on talking, he was overcome by sleep and fell down from the third floor, and was picked up dead" (Acts 20:9)

Just replace "Eutychus" with "Sameer, Whitney, Steve and Sue" and replace "Paul" with "Pastor Graham" and there you have it. After the closing hymn and announcements our pastor came to the front and apologized profusely, explaining that his watch had stopped and he didn't realize it until after the sermon. God had also made the sun stand still for Joshua, but at least they could pass the time by killing some Amorites.

Afterwards we walked downtown for lunch and a beautiful grilled chicken wrap with swiss aroused me out of my theologically-induced coma. By the providence of God, the honey-mustard in my wrap was accidentally replaced with *wasabi* mustard -- God breathed into my nostrils (and sinuses) the breath of life. And it was quite tasty.

We spent much of the remainder of the day at Kohl's and Bob's Discount Store looking for comfortable shoes for my mom. Poor mom - she thought that the nice "comfortable" heels she wears to work would fit in nicely with our pedestrian life. Oops. One day and several miles around Mystic and Newport taught someone a valuable lesson: namely, comfortable heels after a mile feels more like Chinese foot-binding. I actually can't believe I didn't warn her about this. Sorry mom, it's completely my fault!

By the way, here is how we often blog. I (Whitney) write the post and it's really boring. If Sameer is too busy, it stays boring and I publish it. If he has a few minutes, he edits it and gives it his magical Sameer-touch. Given the way our personalities have affected (infected?) one another, it may not be as easy as you think to discern which bits come from whom. But you should still try and guess - it is good practice in redaction criticism, whereby you attempt to use literary criteria to determine layers of editorial activity within texts. Okay that last part was clearly Sameer.

Or was it?

Okay, yeah, it was.

5 comments:

Kasey said...

I am glad for the last paragraph.

I read the first 4 or 5 paragraphs and then thought, "Hmmm... that paragraph sounded a lot like Sameer. Wait a minute. Who was going to blog every day to give their family the play by play?" Back to the first paragraph..."Ok, Whitney's parents. That's what I thought. Hmm...that paragraph sounded a lot like Sameer too. Who's writing this blog anyway? It's in the first person. Sameer and Whitney must be doing their infusion thing."

And...then the last paragraph. I am sure that you have influenced one another, but I'd like to think that I lived with you long enough Whit and were around you plenty enough Sameer, to still be able to tell the difference and be right at least most of the time....

Sameer Yadav said...

You're right Kasey, it's probably easier to figure out for you than it is for a lot of people. But I'll bet that it will get increasingly harder to tell. At least I hope so. That way, I would finally be able to get Whitney to write some of my academic papers for me.

Anonymous said...

Whitney alwasy teases me for using "big words" and for the way that I say things, so,since Sameer uses bigger owrds than I have ever heard, I whink I could tell sometimes which was which. OR am I living in delusion? hmm...Gald you guys had a great time!!! Sad I am gonna miss the visit to go tramping all over NYC with Whit. But we can plan other imaginary visits when you get to Duke. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

It is getting late here, but none the less you crack me up!!

Sameer Yadav said...

Brenda, Holy crap, you mean more than two people actually read this thing? That's... uh... ROCKIN'!!!